Unlike most other integrations, QuickBooks Desktop does not require any application credentials for accessing the API. Your business customers will be asked to download, install and configure a connector along with a configuration file (See next step).
- Open the Railz Dashboard™ and log in.
- In the left sidebar navigation menu, go toIntegrations > Accounting.
- Scroll down to the QuickBooks Desktop integration and use the toggle to update the QuickBooks Desktop integration from Disabled to Enabled.
Your business customers will be guided through the flow below to successfully connect & authorize access to their QuickBooks Desktop account.
If your business customers do not follow these steps correctly the connection & authorization process will fail.
QuickBooks Web Connector
QuickBooks Web Connector (QBWC) is a solution developed by Intuit to enable secure communication between QuickBooks Desktop and other web applications. The QuickBooks Web Connector must be run on the same computer where QuickBooks Desktop is installed.
Before starting the connection process, the user must open QuickBooks Desktop and log in to the business they wish to connect.
You should make it clear to your businesses that they must run the connector on the machine they use to access QuickBooks Desktop.
The first step is for the business to download the QuickBooks Web Connector and Railz .qwc configuration file from Railz Connect™.
Railz follows Intuit’s service discontinuation policy for QuickBooks Desktop and fully supports the following versions, version tiers and special editions:
2015 or later versions of:
- QuickBooks Desktop (US)
- QuickBooks Desktop (Canada)
- Pro Plus
- Premier Plus
QWC Configuration File
- Each business will have access to a unique configuration file with the following name convention: Railz-[BUSINESS_NAME].qwc.
- Businesses must save their unique Railz .qwc configuration file before proceeding.
- Note that the QuickBooks Web Connector will require this file.
Each business should install the QuickBooks Web Connector (QBWebConnectorInstaller.exe).
QuickBooks Web Connector Permissions
The QuickBooks Web Connector operates on a user level, meaning it does not require administrator privileges/rights to run on most systems. Some stricter corporate policies may require admin rights to run; in these instances, users should be familiar with their internal process for requesting permission from their IT department.
For step-by-step instructions to install QBWC, businesses can refer to this QuickBooks Help Article.
Older Versions of QuickBooks Desktop
Railz does not fix issues related to older versions of QuickBooks Desktop. Upgrade to the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop to continue using the QuickBooks Web Connector.
In steps 2-5 of Railz Connect™, a business will be prompted to configure the QuickBooks Web Connector.
- With QuickBooks Desktop open, a business should navigate to File > App Management > Update Web Services to launch the QuickBooks Web Connector and add a new application.
- In the QuickBooks Web Connector, a business should click Add an Application and choose the previously downloaded Railz .qwc file from their windows file viewer.
- In the QuickBooks Web Connector, the business should then select the option to allow access even if QuickBooks is not running.
Do not allow access to personal data.
- In the QuickBooks Web Connector, the business should then select the checkbox and enter the password provided in step 5 of Railz Connect™ when prompted.
Businesses should save this unique password before proceeding.
- After being prompted for the password, a business should click Update Selected to initiate data retrieval.
Businesses do not need to wait for the sync to complete before clicking next on the last step (Step 6) of Railz Connect.
Updated 9 months ago